The staff of the AFUMC Weekday Preschool supports the mission of the program in a warm, loving, Christ-centered environment that promotes spiritual, social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth of children. Individuals seeking a position must demonstrate knowledge of the developmental needs of children ages birth to 5 as well as enthusiasm, dedication, empathy, and sensitivity.
Lead Teacher Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with a concentration in child development, early childhood education or a related field OR
- Two-year associate degree with a concentration in child development, early childhood education or a related field and three or more years of verifiable experience with young children.
- Verifiable experience preferred with children birth to eight-years of age in childcare settings, public, or private schools, church setting, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others in the school (Weekday Preschool Director, other Lead and Assistant Teachers, Church staff and Parents).
- Attend scheduled staff meetings, teacher planning days, and evaluation meetings.
- Complete a minimum of ten DHR (Department of Human Resources) hours per year (April 1 – March 31).
- Complete Safe Sanctuaries Training.
- This part-time position reports to the Director of the AFUMC Weekday Preschool and requires work between the hours of 8:30 AM and 12:30 PM during the months of August through May.
Lead Teacher Responsibilities
- Know, follow, and implement all preschool policies procedures.
- Assume primary responsibility for the class.
- Supervise and ensure the safety and wellbeing of the children.
- Plan and implement age-appropriate curriculum to meet individual needs and interests of the children.
- Conduct assessments to monitor children’s progress.
- Provide an engaging, orderly, and clean classroom environment.
- Handle discipline promptly and in accordance with stated policy on discipline.
- Maintain frequent and open communication with the parents/guardians (i.e., monthly calendars, weekly newsletters, happy grams, occasional phone calls and informal notes or conversation).
Kay Elder, Director of Weekday Preschool | | 706-543-1442