Bible Background: John 13:1-17 (excerpt from the Deep Blue Storybook Bible)
[Jesus gathered with his disciples in the Upper Room for the Last Supper. He knew that it was going to be his last Passover feast with his friends.] The friends watched as Jesus got up from the table and tied a towel around his waist. Then Jesus poured water into a big bowl.
What is Jesus doing? thought the friends. The friends watched as Jesus began to wash their feet. “Jesus, what are you doing?” asked Peter. “I don’t want you to wash my feet. My feet are so dirty. Besides, it’s the job of a servant to wash feet. It’s not your job. You are our teacher.”
“Peter,” said Jesus, “it is important that I wash your feet.” So Peter let Jesus wash his dirty feet.
When Jesus finished washing everyone’s feet, he took off the towel and put away the bowl of water. “Do you understand why I did the job of a servant and washed your feet?” asked Jesus.
“No,” said Peter and his friends, shaking their heads.
“I wanted to show you God’s love,” said Jesus. “So even thought I am your teacher, I di the job of a servant and washed your feet,” said Jesus. “I want you to serve others. Helping others is one way to show God’s love.”
How to Talk to Your Kids:
- How do you think Peter felt when Jesus washed his feet?
- Would you like to wash someone’s feet? This isn’t something we really do today, unless we are going to get a pedicure! But a long time ago, when Jesus lived, this was a normal thing for a servant to do for his master.
- Peter was surprised when Jesus decided to wash his friends’ feet. He wasn’t their servant, was he? Why do you think he was going this? He was teaching them something important: to share God’s love by helping or serving one another. Jesus was teaching his friends that we are no better than anyone else, and our job is to love one another.
- How do you like to show love to your family, friends, even strangers?
“Lord, thank you for giving us so many ways to love each other. You have shown another great example of how you are always here for us, how you always forgive us, and how you unconditionally love us. Help us love others as you love us. Amen.”
Activities to go with this:
- Sweet Foot Scrub
- Mix together equal parts (1/4 – ½ cup) sugar and coconut oil. Option: Add flavored essential oil. Store in a jar or Tupperware. Make one and leave it for a neighbor!